The Jackson Sanatorium: The Best Appointed Health Institution in America. Built of Brick and Iron and Absolutely Fire Proof.

OCLC: 32679443
Download PDFJackson Sanitorium - PDF

The Jackson Sanatorium, dedicated to the “scientific treatment of chronic invalids,” was one of several names given over the years to the famous health resort which operated in Dansville, NY from 1854 through 1971. It can still be seen high on the hill just east of the village. This undated brochure was aimed to entice overworked, nervous, and exhausted persons with the curative promise of Dansville’s mountain spring water, regular lectures on health, lessons of hygiene, and opportunities for social and religious interaction. The Sanatorium, directed by Dr. James H. Jackson at the time of printing, used non-pharmaceutical treatments, focusing on careful regulation of daily life, including diet, exercise, rest, and proper dress. This last must have been of great interest to the trussed up, bejeweled 19th- and early 20th-century women, as the brochure suggests that simple dress will insure “better health, a wider scope for unused powers, and a far greater degree of happiness.” In an early example of celebrity endorsement, a quote from Clara Barton appears in the back of the brochure.

This work, originally published in the 1890s, is reprinted by Milne Library at the State University of New York College at Geneseo as part of the Genesee Valley Historical Reprints series. The Genesee Valley Historical Collection is Milne Library’s largest and most accessible collection of local history materials. Its geographical scope covers the eight counties surrounding the Genesee River in New York State: Allegany, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Steuben and Wyoming. For more information, see: http://go.geneseo.edu/gvhr.